Friday, January 13, 2012

Jake Ryan: the one that got away

Today I am thankful for good friends and sexy characters from John Hughes movies. This week seemed so, so long. Ridiculously long, but in fairness it is the first full week that I have worked since early December. And the week was ending on Friday the 13th; it doesn't really seem like a recipe for success.

So my day starts off by not going to the gym and not being able to find my coffee card when I am getting coffee number three of the day in the work cafeteria (aka the Galley...gotta love the nautical theme.) The coffee card is this amazing little thing where you buy nine coffees and get the tenth one free. Those of you who know me well know that I love a nice deal. So I am standing out the line fishing through my wallet searching for my card when the guy in front of me in line buys my coffee. I love a random act of kindness even more than I love a good deal. And then he proceeded to give me some nice little gossip about my old department. I could get used to having a French Roast Sugar Daddy!

Work was work--it was a long day to end a long week, but the train ahead of mine was running late enough that I didn't have to wait at the train station to get home and get ready for dinner with my sister from another mister Jen Maule! Jen made an awesome dinner and in the course of our sparkling dinner conversation I commented on how it would be kind of amazing if for my thirtieth birthday I was sitting on a dining room table a birthday cake from Jake Ryan.

So we watched Sixteen Candles. I am tremendous fan of the entire John Hughes franchise; none of his movies get old. Ever. However, if I had to pick a favorite Sixteen Candles would be in tight contention with Ferris Bueller's Day Off. How can you not love Jake Ryan? Or Farmer Ted? Or young John Cusack? Or the Donger?

All in all, my Friday the 13th turned out to be pretty lucky: a French Roast Sugar Daddy, a very late train, Jen Maule, and {sigh} Jake Ryan. Oh, if he were here...

2 comments:

  1. What a day! Ferris Bueller's Day Off for me, all the way. Can't count how many times I've seen it, and it had such cool imagery.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Love, love, love Ferris Bueller. I keep threatening my friend who lives in Chicago that he needs to take me on a Ferris Bueller tour if I come out to visit. Also, I love that every time I look at Impressionist Art I hear Morrissey in my head. :)

      Delete